• Fun Filled 10-day course •
• Future job opportunities •
• Meet amazing new people •
• Reconnect with the outdoors •
• Change your life! •
This spring we will be offering a whitewater guide school for those interested in guiding people down whitewater rivers. Throughout this 10 day course you will develop new skills becoming competent in all aspects of river running, meet new amazing people with similar outdoor interests, and spend many days experiencing the joy of running rivers.
After completion of this course you will have the skills needed to competently navigate a raft and crew down class II and III whitewater. This training is ideal for individuals interested in working in the outdoor industry and those who enjoy the outdoor lifestyle. After completion of this guide school we will be hiring new guides interested in working for our company. Extra training and equipment will be provided for you to use and practice with if needed.
Throughout this course you will learn all the basic skills needed for becoming a whitewater guide. Some of the skills you will learn will include:
- Boat maneuvering, handling, and paddle skills
- Boat care and repair
- Proper guide etiquette
- Safety talk and boat talk
- Constant practice of safety on and off the water
- Guest relations in outdoor environments
- River hydrology and river dynamics
- How to read water
- River terminology
- Whitewater swimming and self rescue
- Basics in whitewater rescue
- Rope skills and knot-tying
- Proper rigging and packing for trips
- Proper vehicle rigging
- Proper boat rigging
- Emergency Protocols
- Flora and Fauna
- Natural and historical events
- Food preparation
- And Much More!
After Guide School a CPR / Basic First Aid certification course will be available and taught through Tahoe Whitewater Tours.
Experience one of the most fun jobs available, work with some of the most enjoyable people around, and do it this summer. WHAMMY!!!
Guide School Meeting: Thursday May 4, 6:00pm at our Truckee office located at 10015 Palisades Dr, Truckee CA. Discussion of guide school and sign ups made.
Tuition: One-time fee of $400, plus three days of work. We offer one of the least expensive guide schools available.
Dates: 5/11/16 - 5/22/16 with three off-days. Days off to still be determined
Experience Necessary: No prior rafting or guiding experience needed.
This 10 day course will be be taught during the middle of May. Weather in May can be gorgeous and sunny or wet and stormy so please prepare for any type of weather. We will be camping a few nights during the school so be please provide your own camping equipment.
Recommended gear you provide:
- Dry change of clothes for after river day
- Lunch for each day of instruction
- Camping equipment
- Extra warm clothing in case of cold weather
- Shorts and a T-shirt
- Sunglasses with strap
- Wetsuit socks or thick wool socks worn with athletic shoes or sport sandals such as Tevas or Chacos, or hard-soled wetsuit shoes
- Fleece, polyprene, or wool sweaters is recommended to have on cold weather days
Gear we provide:
- PFDs (Personal Floatation Devices)
- Splash gear
- All other gear needed for instruction
We will provide group breakfast and dinner during the camping days. During the rest of the school you will be asked to provide your own lunches.